Born in Trapani. He graduated in Medicine and Surgery at the University of Pavia 9 November 1979, achieving the same University the qualification for the profession of medicine.
He holds a diploma of specialization in ophthalmology at the University of Milan July 12, 1983.
Member of the following Ophthalmological Society:
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (member since 1990)
- Italian association of Phacoemulsification (Founding Member)
- European Society of Cataract Refractive Surgery
- Italian Society of Ophthalmology (Vice-President from 1997 to 2001 now holds the post of Deputy Secretary)
- Italian company Ocular Surface and Stem Cells (Founding Member)
- Ophthalmologic Society Siciliana (Adviser 1995-1997; President dal 2008 al 2010)